Re: GEP-4 : Versioning and branching rules proposal

Hi Jody,

On Wed, 2002-09-25 at 15:47, Jody Goldberg wrote:
> 1) a versioning scheme that can will support gnome version & package
>    version in all the phases of a release.
>
> 2) not bumping things with no apparant change
>
> In my opinion (1) is more important.  Indeed there is some change
> in a package when its version gets bumped to .0 for a release even
> though its code has not changed.  That bump indicates that it has
> been tested with its new sibling packages (the rest of gnome).

	Of course, however - from what I remember of the proposal, there were
even more versions, and they changed even more frequently than most
people release packages [ with minor fixes ] currently.

	That makes for a lot of releasing work, and potentially a huge amount
of binaries pushed to people that havn't changed [ in various update
scenarios ].

	There is of course, useful information in the transition from
libbonobo-0.9.1 to libbonobo-1.0.0 and it's really great to have that.
Clearly there's also useful information in libbonobo-1.1.0 to 1.2.0,
etc.

	The problem is - the argument doesn't really continue to the 3/4th
sub-versions. Indeed - you start loosing the rather vital bit of
information that most people are interested in - 'did something change'.

	I think preserving the "did something change" information, is far more
useful than having for the sake of uniformity 3 releases per package
during a release phase, each with a different (but uniform) number.

	Regards,

		Michael.