Re: REMINDER: GEP-2 discussion end date

On Sat, 2002-09-28 at 20:37, Havoc Pennington wrote:

> Seth Nickell <snickell stanford edu> writes:
> > http://www.gnome.org/~seth/theme-set-editor.png
> > http://www.gnome.org/~seth/theme-set-selector.png
>
> The nice thing about this setup, to me, is that it can just replace
> the current Theme dialog (and the current dialog is well on its way to
> having too many tabs and generally sucking as we add new component
> themes). We could move toward making "theme" mean "metatheme."  That
> beautifully answers the question of how much extra clutter this adds
> to the menu - none.
>
> Bastien - do you need to say "don't apply a certain part of the theme"
> when you could just duplicate the theme, change the relevant part to
> what you want? e.g. if you want all of a theme but keep your current
> icon theme, you Duplicate the theme, edit it, change icon theme to
> your current one, then apply the theme. Seems workable.

My main problem would be with the editing part. Ie. I have these 2
themes I want to mix. I apply the first one without the background, the
second one with the font, and I can then save a third theme without a
problem.

It goes especially true if we get more "parts" supported like you say
below. This was the way the good ol' Window 9x themes panel worked, and
I think it was very usable, and fits exactly in what we're trying to
achieve.

> One reason metathemes as the main theme concept is nice is that it
> means people can move between say Bluecurve and Default GNOME and
> Keramik and Gorilla and whatever with only a single click.
>
> Is the set of "component themes" and the set of "suggestions" (font,
> background) extensible? I would say both should be extensible in the
> sense that we can add more items while still supporting old themes,
> but not extensible in the sense that themes can make up new items to
> add that aren't known to the theme control panel.
>
> What do you do if a theme is missing a given theme component?  I'd
> suggest that the theme be presented as containing some default theme
> component. For example, all themes not containing a GTK+ theme
> component show up as containing the default GTK+ theme. The other
> option is that the given component is "unset" and will not be affected
> when choosing the theme; I don't like that because it means the order
> in which you move through the themes affects what you see. Also, it's
> hard to explain in the GUI.
>
> How do we present "foreign" themes? For example, we would want to
> allow changing Mozilla, Qt, XMMS toolkit themes. Do those get lumped
> into Controls (and the various theme implementations are linked by
> identical name), or do they get broken out somehow? I think the former
> is right.
>
> If this dialog is instant-apply, why have the preview?  Or is the
> preview only if instant apply turns out to be a bit too slow?
>
> Are "Apply Font" and "Apply Background" OK from an accessibility
> standpoint? If we had more than two items there, what if there were an
> "Apply All Suggestions" button? Or how about an "Automatically Apply
> Theme Suggestions" check box that, if checked, would make theme
> suggestions auto-apply when you selected a theme?
>

> There seems to be quite a lot of implementation work here, if you
> start looking at it. Export Theme should IMO actually _copy_ all the
> component themes into one big tarball, and the Theme control panel
> should be able to install a giant tarball like that, and also be able
> to install single component themes. The implementation should know
> about Qt themes, XMMS themes, etc., not just GTK themes.  And there's
> a gmarkup or XML parser to write for the theme format itself.
>
> If we get extensibility right so we can add things in the future and
> support all the various backend theme types, and get install/export
> theme right, and make the whole thing robust with nice error handling,
> it's looking like a ton of work. Someone needs to sit down and bang
> out the first draft in the next few weeks if we're going to make 2.2.

Nod.

--
/Bastien Nocera
http://hadess.net