Re: REMINDER: GEP-2 discussion end date

<bordoley msu edu> writes:

> I'm not sure if this has been discussed in this thread or not, but I think
> this issue may be a rare case where accessibility requirements contradict with
> general usability. I for one do not want to see a melding of all "appearance"
> related capplets (ie. font, theme, background etc.). However for users with
> accessibility concerns having all the "look and feel" options in one
> convenient place is probably a requirement. So I'm wondering if a compromise
> can be met. What I'm thinking is that we keep the current capplets but add an
> additional appearance capplet to the accessibility preferences menus which
> provides all of these options in a way that meets the requirements of users
> for whom accessibility is an issue. Thoughts?

Well, I still have some hope we could have a nice simple metatheme
feature like Windows XP does...

Maybe this should be separate from a more complicated "canned settings
profile" feature, if that's what accessibility requires.

We need to clarify which features are an accessibility _requirement_
(needed for users with disability XYZ to use the computer effectively,
according to objective criteria), which features are an accessibility
"would be nice for certain kinds of disability," and which features
are just things some users said they liked in the same way 200 people
a day tell me they can't use the computer unless they have edge
flipping and shade-hover mode.

Maybe design a nice simple Windows XP style feature; ask if it's good
enough for accessibility or can be made so without making the UI bad;
and if the answer is no, do a separate feature for accessibility.  But
I don't think we should give up right away.

Havoc