Re: REMINDER: GEP-2 discussion end date

On Fri, 2002-09-27 at 19:37, Seth Nickell wrote:
> On Thu, 2002-09-26 at 14:38, Havoc Pennington wrote:
> >
> > <bordoley msu edu> writes:
> > >
> > > I'm not sure if this has been discussed in this thread or not, but I think
> > > this issue may be a rare case where accessibility requirements contradict with
> > > general usability. I for one do not want to see a melding of all "appearance"
> > > related capplets (ie. font, theme, background etc.). However for users with
> > > accessibility concerns having all the "look and feel" options in one
> > > convenient place is probably a requirement. So I'm wondering if a compromise
> > > can be met. What I'm thinking is that we keep the current capplets but add an
> > > additional appearance capplet to the accessibility preferences menus which
> > > provides all of these options in a way that meets the requirements of users
> > > for whom accessibility is an issue. Thoughts?
> > >

> > Well, I still have some hope we could have a nice simple metatheme
> > feature like Windows XP does...
>
> WinXPs metatheme feature is way more complicated than it would need to
> be if it were just a THEME feature rather than a "capplet that changes
> preferences that live elsewhere" (aka "metatheme") feature. I still see
> no reason other than accesibility to make the theme capplet control any
> settings except appearance of buttons, icons, borders, etc. To provide
> more expression to theme authors we can even add buttons that allow
> users to explicitly select non-theme elements that the theme author
> suggests are complimentary (such as backgrounds).
>
> See:
>
> http://www.gnome.org/~seth/theme-set-editor.png
> http://www.gnome.org/~seth/theme-set-selector.png

Getting there, but in the editor, I would have made a table with
tickboxes for the theme parts, and shown the drop-downs depending on the
line selected. And in the Selector, have a list of tickboxes for the
parts of the theme that should be applied.

That could also solve the problem below:
Apply suggested parts:
[ ] Font size and colour
[X] Background
[X] Font
[X] Window borders

> The caveat with this interface is that it requires a hack to work with
> accesibility (namely accesibility theme's recommendations get
> automatically applied rather than just showing up as recommendations).
> The alternative, which I strongly suggest in support of DaveB, Maciej,
> and others is to not try conflate the accesibility features needed here
> into theme features. I think this is shifting the whole definition of
> what a theme is, and certainely changing what a reasonable interface is.

What do you think ?

--
/Bastien Nocera
http://hadess.net