Re: desktop-devel-list digest, Vol 1 #691 - 5 msgs

John J. Boyer said:

> Hello,
> Another reason to give users a choice of window managers is that there
> may be considerable differences in accessibility among them. People with
> disabilities in particular may appreciate having a choice. Windows only
> gives us a choice between bad and worse.
> John

Hi John:

The good news about Metacity in this respect is that it seems to be much
better for accessibility than the sawfish window manager (the current
default), thanks largely to Havoc's unhesitant cooperation where
accessibility is concerned.  So at least for the near term I think
Metacity is the best accessibility choice for low-vision and blind users
alike, and has few if any disadvantages for mobility-impaired users (it
has better default keybindings, for instance, though sawfish is
configurable in that respect).

So I think a built-in default of Metacity would pose no dsadvantages for
accessibility at this time.  In any case, even if the "choice" of window
managers is not explicitly offered to the user, there are means of
changing the default that are available to knowledgeable users, admins,
and script writers.

best regards,

-Bill