Re: Progress bar on startup

On Sat, 2002-09-21 at 14:04, Havoc Pennington wrote:

> Bastien Nocera <hadess hadess net> writes:
> > So that it's actually ready to use when the splash/waiting spinning
> > thingo disappears.
> >

> For msm I was thinking of a login thing that was a big window covering
> the whole screen, and then when all the apps were started it would
> split in half and slide apart. ;-)
>
> It would rule! Requires window manager playing nice to keep the big
> window on top of all apps, though.

Assuming decent translucency support is available, it might be cooler to
make the desktop "fade" into view (window on top with whatever in it,
it's quickly made more and more translucent until it hits transparency,
and then is removed).

This would be some serious overkill for weak machines, tho, any such
option would need to be able to be disabled easily.