Re: Progress bar on startup

Alan Horkan <horkana tcd ie> writes:

> > Given that machines are getting faster, and GNOME is getting much
> > quicker to start up, what do people think of getting rid of the progress
> > indicator?  It doesn't really show any useful information right now.
>
> What about the people with crap machines? (by people i mean me)
>
> User feedback is good.  Perhaps you might change it rather than remove it,
> perhaps show an hourglass cursor or something.

I don't mind generic 'progress' indicator.  I think something like the
spinning, horizontal barbershop-pole that apple has is fine.

> Just because developers have huge monitors and fast machines does not mean
> other users will be upgrading anytime soon.  (i realise you cannot base
> developement on the lowest common denominator either) maybe there is some
> detail i am missing and i have misinterpeted this as being worse than it
> actually is.

I'm looking at a P2-450 -- hardly a speed daemon.  The problem I'm
complaining about is that the progress meter is totally misleading, and
the text is uninteresting.  I want to either make it abstract, or get
rid of it altogether.

Thanks,
-Jonathan