Re: GEP-4 : Versioning and branching rules proposal

<quote who="Frederic Crozat">

> Here is the announce for GEP-4 : versioning and branching rules for
> GNOME modules..
>
> Discussions should be done on desktop-devel list..

Can we add a note to Very Strongly Suggest that numbers and other such mess
in tarball/module names are a stooooopid idea? Examples:

  libgnomeui2-version.tar.gz
  gal2-0-0.0.2.tar.gz <- what the?! this is particularly wacky :-)
  gedit2
  gnome2-user-docs

It was already inconvenient enough with ORBit2 and libxml2, but during the
G2 process, adding a 2 seemed to be the in thing. Most of the other modules
survived with 1.99 versions (proper ones) or similar, so I have no idea what
the rationale behind the *2 has been.

This has become very, very obvious whilst I've been writing ftp migration
scripts. :-)

To summarise: Released tarballs should have a consistent non-version
filename, preferably based on the CVS module name (if not, they should have
a known common name, in the case of things like gnome-xml vs. libxml2).

Thoughts?

- Jeff

--
             "jwz? no way man, he's my idle" - James Wilkinson