Re: proposed multimedia stuff for Gnome 2.2 Desktop Platform

On Wed, 2002-10-30 at 19:00, Thomas Vander Stichele wrote:
> Hi Dave,
>
> > I sort of like the idea of a media playlist view (pretty much what you
> > have) which pops up windows for mpgs etc. that close when the video is
> > finished playing. That way i can playlist any media files i have in a
> > folder.
>
> Do you mean the view should parse a playlist in your directory somehow
> (ie, be a view on a single playlist file) and then give you a list of the
> files in the playlist - or do you mean, show the directory contents as a
> playlist ?

No I mean a directory view sorted by file name or type like you have.
Using the term playlist was probably bad... :)

> The distinction is important, and I'm interested in what people
> want here.  I consider nautilus as a file manager, so it should start from
> files (whether they be playlists or directory contents).  So I'm
> interested in your opinion.

I share the same basic bias as you do. Some thought could be given to
extending this feature (perhaps allow the user to manually arrange the
order that media files in a folder are played, sorted of like manual
like in a file view), I don't have a definitive answer for you, guess it
just needs some testing to figure out what the best ui is.

> > screenshot looks real nice.
>
> Thanks ;) all suggestions re: layout and further polishing (it's not done
> yet) are welcome.

I'm trying to build the nautilus package right now to test it. Are there
any rpms available for gstreamer-play? I downloaded all the gstreamer
rpms from http://people.ecsc.co.uk/~matt/downloads but the pc file for
this lib seems to be missing any ideas?

dave