Re: [Usability]Re: All animations should be disableable

On Fri, Oct 18, 2002 at 10:30:56PM +0100, MArk Finlay wrote:

> > Note, a bunch of specific preferences would be a poor solution to slow
> > display problems. Either a global "we have a slow display" flag, or
> > some way to autodetect, would be better. Ideally the flag is
> > desktop-wide.
>
> Yeah - i was thinking about that - maybe an animation or performance
> gconf setting(s) in the gconf under the acessibility umbrella. It could
> even make it into the accessibility UI *shrug*. Windows and KDE have
> these kind of settings, however the KDE one is too complex IMHO.

I don't think this is purely accessibility. I'm not specialy disabled but the
first thing I do in Windows (or sawfish) is to disable all the animations.

I regard it as distracting (I know what happens; for experience). I think the
right way to go here is a global disable "gimick animation" option. By gimick
animation I mean all animation that is not used to indicate special state or
progress (it a throbber is not gimick animation).

This way users that feel distracted can disable all that animations at once
(i.e. that would be in windows: window minimize/maximize; menu, listbox, etc
animation and much more).

My primary problem with this animation is not speed, but visual distraction I
want to do my work. And I can rest my eye when I need to.

I hope we can afford one global toggle option for this kind of animation.

Martin H.