Re: New Modules in GNOME 2.2

Hey,

> In theory I agree 100%  In practice, your portability code will only be as
> good as the platforms you could test it on.  I'd love to test on solaris.
> I don't have one.  I'm not going to buy one either.  People who ask that
> GStreamer works on solaris have a legitimate demand, but we also have a
> legitimate concern if we cannot get access from anyone on the planet to a
> solaris box.  (Sourceforge is not an option here).

Yeah, this is rather sad that it hasn't yet happened...but we're working
on it - things happen slowly in Sun...especially since we're pretty much
overloaded trying to get our 2.0 release out the door.

> Personally, I myself am surprised that there hadn't been a solaris box for
> testing for gnome developers in the past, and if there isn't, but the
> companies involved feel that all of gnome 2.2 should work on solaris, then
> there is 1 and only 1 logical conclusion : said companies must provide the
> hardware as a service to the hackers so the hackers can provide the
> service to make the code portable.

I was one of the people in the release team that was reluctant about the
inclusion of gstreamer. The simple reality is that we need to start
putting it in slowly with limited exposure...and 2.2 seems the most
appropriate timeframe for this.

Unfortunately I'm not sure how many resources we could give to make sure
that gstreamer is fully portable on Solaris by GNOME 2.2....but we'll
get there...eventually ;)

> People from SUN tell me they can get something arranged by end of January,
> which is a good start.  I'm just surprised I'm one of the first person to
> ask ;)

Hey! I've asked...several times!

> BTW, I'm not using "I don't have a solaris box" as an excuse here - we are
> genuinly 100% interested in testing our code on solaris.

Well, it's kinda true though....unless you have access to a Solaris box
you can't really test the code....and no one expects anything less.

			See ya,
				Glynn ;)