Re: Update: 2.2 Proposed Modules List

On Wed, Nov 20, 2002 at 05:37:31PM -0500, Havoc Pennington wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 20, 2002 at 05:36:36PM -0500, Dave Bordoley wrote:
> >
> > If metacity sets the cursor to a busy cursors does this effectively
> > prevent the user from interacting with other parts of the desktop while
> > an app is loading? or will it only be a busy cursor when the loading app
> > is selected from the window list?
> >

> It can work various ways, I haven't really thought it through.
> Let me know what you think.

It should only be "busy" when the busy application has the focus. On a
multitasking system, it would be inconsistent to indicate that the whole
system is busy when it's only one application that is unresponsive
because it is loading.

The alternative is confusing in other ways, too: what if an application
is starting on another desktop or screen? It's going to be a bit strange
wondering why my cursor suddenly changes to the busy cursor when my I am
still happily working on my email as the loading application starts
elsewhere.

Malcolm

--
Telepath required. You know where to apply...