Re: Discussion: 2.2 Proposed Modules List

Le mer 13/11/2002 à 11:53, Jeff Waugh a écrit :

> >   - gnomemeeting: Video and audio conferencing client based on h323. Depends
> >     on pwlib and openh323, which are available at gnomemeeting.org.
>
> Very kickarse app, but, given my experience with GARNOME, I know how hard it
> is to build the dependencies. Aside from those quibbles, should this be in
> our desktop release? Given its special-interest nature, perhaps it would be
> more appropriate in Fifth Toe for the time being.

Actually it is not harder to build the dependancies than to build the
mozilla dependancy for Galeon, moreover all major distributions are
shipping with pre-built openh323 packages since they are shipping with
GnomeMeeting.

However I have to admit that the presence of GnomeMeeting in the "core"
desktop is discussable.

If you consider that an office suite, a mail reader, a media player or a
web browser are part of the core desktop, then GnomeMeeting should
certainly belong to the core desktop too as part of the collaborative
tools (remember that Netmeeting is provided with Windows for example).
Also notice that it is a tool that other desktop environments do not
provide yet.

If you consider that such applications are not part of the core desktop
but part of an additional package (Fifth-Toe), then none of them should
be in the core desktop.

Personally (but it is only my opinion), I think that the core desktop
should only contain things like file-roller, acme, nautilus, gcalctool,
... But that other applications like IM's, office suites, mail readers,
web browsers, GnomeMeeting, ... should be part of Fifth-Toe only and not
of the desktop.

--
 _	Damien Sandras
//\	FOSDEM 2003:  http://www.fosdem.org