Re: Thoughts from FreeBSD on the upcoming GNOME 2.2

On Wed, 2002-11-13 at 02:27, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> > So far, I have to say GNOME has been pretty good for FreeBSD.  We have
> > been tracking fairly closely to the official releases.  I'm putting the
> > final touches on 2.1.2 as we speak.
>
> Cool, I hope you've been keeping the 2.1.x releases in an experimental area
> just for testers though! :-)

Wow, this is a great reception.  Yes, GNOME 2.1.x is in my private CVS
repo.  The main FreeBSD ports tree tracks GNOME 2.0.x.  If you're
interested in seeing what our team has done, checkout
http://www.freebsd.org/gnome/index.html.

> > However, with the recent addition of GStreamer to GNOME 2, I have some
> > doubts.
>
> Note that it's a proposed addition, as are all of the modules mentioned in
> my previous email to the list. All of this stuff needs to be discussed.

Yep, and that's why I wanted to add my .02 now.

> > GStreamer still does not
> > work on FreeBSD.  Our pthreads implementation does not allow
> > applications to longjump between thread contexts.  Since it looks like
> > GStreamer might play an important role in GNOME 2, I thought I'd add
> > some input.  If this is not the correct list, please let me know.
>
> This is certainly the right place to note your issues with the proposed
> modules. You might want to talk to the GStreamer dudes directly about
> FreeBSD support - portability issues such as this are near enough to
> show-stopper bugs for a GNOME Desktop module that we'd want to see this
> fixed in the 2.2 timeframe if GStreamer were to be included.

We have contacted the gstreamer developers.  According to our gstreamer
maintainer, they have been quite helpful, but don't have the resources
to test FreeBSD issues.  I will personally provide access to FreeBSD
machines if anyone is willing to do testing.

> Thanks, good to hear from you!

Again, thanks for your reply.  I've been working on GNOME and FreeBSD
for about a year now, and I have to say, I can't see switching to any
other desktop.

Joe