Re: Question about menus in GNOME 2.x releases

On Wed, 2002-05-15 at 14:14, Markus Bertheau wrote:
> On Wed, 2002-05-15 at 22:01, Seth Nickell wrote:
>
> > The results corresponded suprisingly well with our existing structure.
> > One important distinction that appeared was between "stuff you use to
> > fix / change the computer" and "things that relate to the outside
> > world". These became "System Tools" and "Accessories" respectively. They
>
> If that is so, the "Archive Generator" belongs into Accessoires rather
> than System Tools. It could be confused with the GNOME2 file-roller menu
> entry "Archive Manager" then, though.

We should switch to file-roller post 2.0(.0?), which is a more capable
tool since it can also un-archive. People generally put the archive
generator in the System category. My guess is that this tool will mainly
be activated by double clicking in Nautilus anyway.

Accessories "should" be things that relate to people's work outside the
computer. They are not computer tools they relate to the real world
somehow. Calculator, Dictionary, Text Editor, and to a lesser extent
Character Map (I finally put this one in Accessories because that's
where windows puts it and that's probably where people who know about it
will therefore look). Its hard for me to precisely define this, so I'll
just say Accessories are less "computer-y".

-Seth