Re: background/font capplets

On Tue, 2002-03-12 at 17:49, Bradford Hovinen wrote:
> On Tue, 2002-03-12 at 20:13, Seth Nickell wrote:
> > > On the subject of the background capplet, I do not object to changing
> > > the schemas and cleaning up the UI, but I want to see two separate
> > > patches: one for each of those tasks. The schemas patch will most likely
> > > go right in, while the UI patch will require a bit of tweaking on my
> > > part before I approve it. So far, this style of presentation has not
> > > been forthcoming.
> >
> > This is silly. It means porting the existing background capplet to the
> > new schemas, a non-trivial task. The new background capplet is basically
> > a rewrite, and is compatible with the new schemas. "Seperating" the
> > schemas patch from the ui patch essentially means rewriting both pieces
> > of code, because they aren't really separable.
> >
> > Please voice your supposed complaints about the combined patch and I'll
> > try to resolve the issues. If you had just done that in the first place
> > (weeks ago!!!) this could have *easily* been resolved by now.
>
> I'm sorry it's more work for you, but that is the only condition under
> which I will accept the patch.

This is ludicrous. I've already spent at least 4x the amount of time on
this capplet than it took me to do the actual code. I'm tired of jumping
through your silly hoops, and I don't believe you that the patch will be
integrated if I (for unknown reasons) write seperate schemas fixing and
UI fixing code. The only reason I can think of for that is you intend to
reject the UI changes. I feel very much like I'm being (and have been)
played.

If this were any non-core module I would have said "fuck you" about a
month ago, but unfortunately my users are subjected to your module in a
major way whether I (and they) like it or not.

I think its totally pointless for me to spend time porting the old
capplet to the new schemas (I don't even want to think about the merge
conflicts I'll be generating...against myself!), but I guess you have me
over a barell, and I'll do it. BUT, only if there's a crystal clear
public understanding that you will accept the UI changes in short order.
And short order really had better mean SHORT ORDER.

You get your power trip, I get my UI changes. That's my offer.

-Seth