Re: [Fwd: GNOME Panel exec name]

Jeff Waugh wrote:

  You cannot have the 1.4.1 desktop and and the 2.x desktop installed
 side-by-side. The 2.x desktop *replaces* the 1.4.1 desktop (which, in this
 example, precludes the gnomecc binaries being installed side-by-side).

Whilst this sounds complicated, it's pretty straight forward for users. You
can install the 2.x desktop or not. :-)

Actualy i am currently running both the 1.4 and the 2.0 desktop, switching to and fro for bug hunting and testing, but doing my day-job under 1.4. It does conflict with a few application names (gedit is replaced, so is nautilus and a few others) but for the most part its a perfect parrallel installed system.

Even where apps were not renamed to there ...-2 counterpart, a lot of names did change (gdict / gnome-dictionary, etc), so a lot of those apps do not conflict either. Only gnome-games is a hard conflict with its 1.4 version, but to me thats no biggy for my day-to-day job. Also gnomecc _and_ gnome2-control-panel (with theme selectors and all) is working perfectly side by side.

I would personaly hate to see a situation where we contiously make this work less instead of more.

Just my 0.2 Euro cents

   -- Chris Chabot