Re: New splash for Gnome2?

Jeff Waugh <jdub perkypants org> writes:

> <quote who="Kenneth Rohde Christiansen">
>
> > Well we have different language rules. Like CD is called cd in Danish,
> > AIDS is called aids etc. Therefore GNOME is called Gnome in all Danish
> > translations.
>
> I'm intrigued - is that just because the acronyms don't mean anything in
> Danish, or...?

In Danish, an acronym that is pronounced as a word (aids, Nato,
Unesco, ...) or has gotten status as a word (cd, tv, ...) is normally
spelled with lower case letters. "Gnome" falls under that rule,
although you could argue that proper names shouldn't be translated.

KDE is spelled "KDE" because it is pronounced K - D - E.

I don't actually think anyone would object too much to GNOME instead
of Gnome. (A lot of people will object to the missing hyphen between
"2.0" and "skrivebordet", though).