GNOME spelling (was Re: New splash for Gnome2?)

fre 2002-03-01 klockan 15.17 skrev Kenneth Rohde Christiansen:
> Well we have different language rules. Like CD is called cd in Danish,
> AIDS is called aids etc.

We have these rules in Swedish too. But they only apply when an acronym
becomes very common language. I doubt I'll find "GNOME" in a Swedish
dictionary any time soon. I suspect the Danish rules are similar.

> Therefore GNOME is called Gnome in all Danish translations.

I'm not sure these rules necessarily apply. In Swedish grammar, there is
one rule that explicitly states that if an acronym is the name of an
organization or company, the organization or company in question always
have final say on how the name should be written. Noone for example
writes the ABB company name "Abb" or "abb", because ABB wants it to be
"ABB" in capital letters.

So if the GNOME project uses "GNOME" in capital letters and wants it to
be in capital letters, that's most likely what all translations should
use too.

Christian