Re: Menu Editing for 2.0.0

 --- Jeff Waugh <jdub perkypants org> wrote: > Apologies, intended to
send this here, too.

> - Jeff
>
> ----- Forwarded message from Jeff Waugh <jdub perkypants org> -----
>
> Date: Fri, 14 Jun 2002 01:25:13 +1000
> From: Jeff Waugh <jdub perkypants org>
> To: Mark McLoughlin <mark mcloughlin sun com>
> Cc: Release the hounds! <gnome2-release-team gnome org>
> Subject: Menu Editing for 2.0.0
>
> Hi Mark,
>
> I've just been playing with gnome-panel 2.0.0 for
> pre-release-candidate BPB
> testing. Unfortunately, the menu editing stuff is neither working,
> nor
> hidden.
>
> I context-clicked on an item [1] in my menu, changed the Command
> field, and
> hit Close. The item no longer appears in my menu. Quite alarming.
> :-) I'm
> adding this to bugzilla now.
>
> To limit the amount of frustration for our users, and time spent
> handling
> dupes by our bug team, we need to do one of the following:
>
>   - Fix menu editing
>
>   - Remove menu editing from the panel user interface
>
> I think, at this stage, that we have to choose the latter. This
> includes
> removing (please add to this if I've missed something):
>
>   - "Remove this item" and "Properties..." entries from item menu
>
>   - "Add new item to this menu" and "Properties..." entries from
> "Entire
>     menu" submenu
>
> Are you happy to make these changes for a gnome-panel 2.0.0.x
> release?
>
> Thanks,
>
> - Jeff
>
> [1] In "Sound & Video", an entry integrated from my
> system-installed GNOME
> software, so /usr/share/gnome/apps/.
>
> --
>      "Evil will always triumph over good, because good is dumb." -
> Dark
>                              Helmet, Spaceballs

Please dont remove functionality - I reported this to the list see

http://mail.gnome.org/archives/desktop-devel-list/2002-June/msg00205.html
AND
http://mail.gnome.org/archives/desktop-devel-list/2002-June/msg00228.html

The second post contains my thoughts on a fix.

The problem seems to be that if desktop entries are in some
categories (I thought it only applied to Other but obviously wrong)
The Category line is missing from the desktop file, so when it is
edited gnome-vfs does not know which category to put it in.

The entry dissapears because
/etc/gnome-vfs-2.0/vfolders/application.vfolders has a AND keyword
for application and a dont show if empty (which stops it appearing in
Other)

This to me is a minor fix.