Re: Providing Proxy support for Gdict. Need inputs.

On Wed, 2002-06-05 at 10:55, Narayana Pattipati wrote:
> Rui Miguel Silva Seabra wrote:
> > On Wed, 2002-06-05 at 06:06, Narayana Pattipati wrote:
> > > I am trying to provide Proxy support for Gdict. There are two
> > > ways of providing proxy support for this application.
> > > a) Provide HTTP proxy support. But the server dict.org at port
> > >    2628 is not recognising HTTP commands. So http proxy
> > >    support is ruled out.
> > www.dict.org provides a form where you can POST your queries.
> > It shoulod be simple, when using http proxy, to do that http request and
> > display the results below, parsed with gtkhtml.
>   Do you mean to say that we'll not use dict protocol when communicating
>   through http proxy.?? In that case all the dict commands like Define,
>   match, show_db, show_strat are passed as http requests to the
> dict.org.

I'm not sure of what to answer you. I think they have an advanced search
which may implement some (if not all) of the protocol options.

>   Without the proxy, we'll be using dict protocol(where transactions are
> TCP
>   based) and with proxy we'll use HTTP method for communicating with the
>   server. Is it OK to have different communication methods when using a
> proxy
>   and when not using it.??

If it's the only way... http proxy based networks are (from what I've
testified) more common than those that implement a socks server.

> > > b) The other alternative left is providing SOCKS proxy support.
> > > Will the community accept the socksified Gdict code which works
> > > only if socks library support is installed(which is not a free
> > > software).??
> > huh? doesn't gnet (GPL, ie, Free Software) have socks support?
> > I think it does, so I wouldn't find it honorable to use a gdict
> >  depending on non Free libs.
>   Gnet seems to provide some socket support but I am not very sure if
>   it gives full SOCKS5 support. Comment at http://www.gnetlibrary.org/
> says
>   SOCKS support is Experimental. So I don't know if we can make use
>   of Gnet library instead of socks library for socksification.

It's sad if it doesn't. If you have the knowledge in that area, would it
be possible to give them a help?

Cheers,

+ So let's do it...?