Re: Control Center Behavior

On Wed, 2002-07-17 at 23:48, Joshua Eichorn wrote:
> Your correct the funcitionality described in 4 is already offered.  You
> can also run the shell using a command line switch.  This is just USERS
> asking for the default to be switched back to the shell.  I think this
> is a good idea, i personally find the shell much easier to use then the
> nautilus view.
>
> -joshua eichorn
>
> Malcolm Tredinnick wrote:
>
> >On Wed, Jul 17, 2002 at 05:04:52PM -0500, Jens Knutson wrote:
> >[...]
> >

> >>To add to this:
> >>
> >>4. For users who love Gnome 2 but don't want/don't need Nautilus, and
> >>thus just make it not run on startup, (as is the case with a couple of
> >>my friends) it gives them a nice CC-style interface without having to
> >>muck with Nautilus.  This is certainly a minority group, but the
> >>flexability is still nice.
> >>

> >Now I'm confused. Isn't this exact functionality already provided? If
> >Nautilus isn't running and you start the control-center, it pops up as
> >its own application. What more beyond this is implied by point 4?

No this functionality is not already offered easily ie: in
applications.vfolder-info gnome-control-center is explicitly hidden, so
to get control center shell up a user has to get to a shell and type
control-center --use-shell

not exactly intuitive

(BTW I prefer preferences menu but the point still stands for new users
which is maybe the point)