Re: replace esound/audiofile with gstreamer

On Tue, 2002-07-16 at 14:49, Frederic Crozat wrote:
> Le mar 16/07/2002 à 14:38, Ali Akcaagac a écrit :
> > it would take away a big stone from fcrozat (frederic crozat) it also
> > drop 2 modules that needs to be maintained (actually 1) it also make old
> > code obsolete in favour to the new one.
>
> Be sure I won't vote against it :)))

i belive you.

> My only question is about gstreamer interoperating with other sound
> servers (this is still a problem with esound) ?

who wants that ? ok for a multiuser system i may understand this but for
single user systems that many of us are running it doesn't matter much.
i mean i changed gstreamer with gconf-edit to point to my alsasink and
done.

> otherwise fallback to esd if esd is running (I'm afraid we will continue
> to see esd around for a long time yet..)

well generally a users system looks like this. he has esound installed,
he has audiofile installed only in favour to make gnome compile happy.
in reallity these people use programms like rhythmbox or xmms with
direct alsa access. to say the truth esound never really worked for me
with the new alsa9 support. not that it is a bug or something but it
doesn't support devfs therefore wants to access things that i can't deal
with (but i must admit that i havent investigated into that issue much
since i don't care much about esound).

> I know these questions are more about gstreamer itself and its
> integration in GNOME but I think they are important (otherwise, we won't
> drain the swamp :))

dunno how it works. i only see a dissaprearing esound and audiofile in
the future which will be substituted with gstreamer that outputs all
stuff into the alsa9 plugin of my system :)

--
Name....: Ali Akcaagac
E-Mail..: mailto:ali akcaagac stud fh-wilhelmshaven de