Re: gnome-panel, gnome-desktop and gnome-session snapshots

On Mon, 15 Jul 2002, Malcolm Tredinnick wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 15, 2002 at 12:58:39AM +0100, Mark McLoughlin wrote:
> > * What are they ?
> > =================
> [...]
> > 	gnome-desktop contains the libgnome-desktop library
> > which contains APIs that really belong in libgnome[ui] but
> > have not seen enough testing or development to be considered
> > stable. It also contains documents installed as part of the
> > core GNOME distribution, e.g. the GPL, GNOME's .desktop files,
> > the gnome-about program, some manpages and GNOME's core graphics
> > files and icons.
>
> I know this is pretty much a boilerplate announcement, but isn't it
> about time we dropped the "have not seen enough testing or development
> to be considered stable" part? After all, libgnome-desktop is part of
> the core GNOME release and we should not be shipping stuff that isn't
> considered stable at this point.
>
> Something like "...APIs that eventually belong in libgnome[ui] but are
> currently being maintained outside those trees." might be an acceptable
> replacement if some justification for existence is needed.

The API is not stable, even though the code may well be. This is the
reason why it is not in the API frozen libgnome[ui] modules.

                   alexl redhat com    alla lysator liu se
He's a time-tossed chivalrous messiah on his last day in the job. She's a
disco-crazy tomboy angel with the soul of a mighty warrior. They fight crime!