Re: GNOME 2.2 module list and schedule [was Re: GNOME 2.2 screenshots]

 --- Jeff Waugh <jdub perkypants org> wrote: > <quote who="Luis
Villa">

> > Question: where is the line between 'useful and deserves to be in
> core'
> > and 'nice but ought to be in fifth toe.' Is there one?
>
> No idea how we'd define it, but the definition is more along the
> lines of
> "Desktop" vs. "Fifth Toe". Fifth Toe is still a 'core GNOME
> release',
> something which I feel we need to stress (for the warm fuzzies of
> our
> developers, plus benefit and knowledge of our users).
>
> For File Roller, I can see it being a desktop component until
> Nautilus has
> archive creation/browsing built in. It's a fairly major hole in our
> feature
> set for the basic desktop at the moment.
>
> - Jeff

My personal take would be any apps neccesary to view major file types
should be in core, and other important apps should be in fifth toe

So core would include

gedit - text
eog - most images
ggv - pdf/postscript
fileroller - archives

?? - borderline

galeon (though I err on including into core esp with html viewer)
abiword
gnumeric

fifth toe

rhythymbox