Re: OOP applets; man pages

On Tue, 2002-02-12 at 23:14, George wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 12, 2002 at 05:54:14PM -0500, Havoc Pennington wrote:
> > I know it's been there, but no one uses it because we don't have it
> > turned on by default, and gtk/libgnomeui don't support it. It also
> > hasn't been made explicit when to use this vs. an applet.
>
> Well it's been on by default, at least in cvs.  Distros turned it off.
> It probably just needs some advertising :)

I know why distros turned it off, it behaves nothing like the Windows
dock or the MacOS X menu-lets (or whatever you call them, the status
icons in the menubar). Test it yourself:

1) Add a status dock on the right hand-side
2) Add a lot of icons in the status dock, the left of the dock move
along to the left side of the panel (that's normal)
3) remove the icons the status dock stays in the same place.

And 3) sucks a lot, and it's also the reason why so many people like the
menu (aka foobar) panel, because of the gravity of the commonly used
applets. If they are to the right, they stay to the right.

I already told that to Anders when we met in Ireland, and he said it
would be pretty hard to implement properly. If anybody has an idea, or,
even better, code, that would rock.

Cheers

--
/Bastien Nocera