Re: [Usability]Re: GNOME personas

On Tue, 2002-12-24 at 08:09, Andrew Sobala wrote:
> >  - there's some room to design for some users first, and some users
> >    later. For example, I think we might be looking at office users
> >    with a sysadmin handy first, and home users later. For this
> >    exercise, we want to pick 3 personas to be primary *now*.
>
> I would be wary of constricting the short-term GNOME audience like this.
> I cannot see why it would be anything but advantageous to do our best to
> design for all personas, without the "We don't need to worry about this
> being confusing to Steve, he's not a primary persona" attitude that
> could arise by having primary personas.

Having personas at all makes them primary. What about the people that
are NOT included in the few personas? The real problem with personas is
that it depends on the people who make them, and decide what they like.

> Even if we do design for primary personas over other personas, I do not
> recall any foundation consensus that GNOME is aimed more at
> office/business users in the short-term than home desktop users. Can
> anyone point me to a thread or minutes where this decision was made, or
> was it just a hypothetical example?

What is the difference between office and home? Not much. Many many
people work at home, or go home from work... and work some more. There
is no real advantage to targetting them separately. Both need e-mail.
Both need web. Both need IM. Both need Office applications. Both need
a virtual stripper sitting above the panel. And with the increased
availability of wireless, and cheaper hardware... many more people are
using laptops and just taking them to and from work, using the same
applications on the same machine even.

--
Rodney Dawes <dobey free fr>