Re: Extending the panel

On Tue, 2002-08-06 at 04:48, hobbit aloss ukuu org uk wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 05, 2002 at 10:02:10PM -0700 or thereabouts, Alan wrote:
> > > On Wed, 2002-07-31 at 08:14, Michael Petnuch wrote:
> > In some cases yes... however, a lot of times a snapshot of say, a
> > terminal window is a heck of a lot more helpful than a list of windows
> > all called "Terminal".  Being able to see if it's a window with code in
> > it, or your mail session, or [random whatever] can be quite an asset.
>
> Playing with the current RH beta, I found that gnome-terminal in
> Gnome 2.0 lets you set the titlebar on the fly.
>
> There's no GUI for this in 1.x, but it's one line in bash. Well,
> two if you include #!/bin/bash :)
>
> So if you use titles like "Mail", "Emacs", "Lynx", "CVS", and so
> on, you don't need pictures.

In the real world I almost never see people actually doing this. I
suppose people find it to bothersome. Terminals are really rather broken
this way. It would have been nice to go back to when the specs were
being made and get support for
getting-out-a-sensible-window-title-to-the-terminal. I suppose its not
to late to change bash and such to at least show the directory name you
are in when on the shell?

-Seth