Re: A Violent Realisation [Was: Preferences]

On Mon, Apr 29, 2002 at 10:11:29PM +1000, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> > It's not just catering for hackers though; it's recognising that there is
> > more than one way to "get real work done", and that there is a place for
> > nifty customisation options.
>
> Established already, in code and in email. Do we need to reiterate over and
> over that this is the case?

The fact that the discussion keeps coming back seems to indicate that we do.

> I'm unaware of a general GNOME 2.0 quest to alienate "more experienced Unix
> users and other hackers". But then, they put flouride in the water, too, so
> I could be wrong.

I was trying to keep this constructive.  Ho hum.

> Productive questioning:
>
>   What sorts of things (preferably specifics) make you feel that GNOME is
>   moving towards a non-hackeror-advanced-user-friendly desktop?

I already listed one - the removal of workspaces.

Hinderances to tinkering would include no "Undo" or "Revert" button on
instant-apply preference dialogs (if that really is intentional and not just
not-yet-implemented.)

>   We need more people to (ugh-marketroid-speak) buy in to a strong usability
>   vision for GNOME; what's in the way? Is it a lack of expressed leadership?
>   Lack of something to buy in to? [2]
> [2] usability.gnome.org says, "The Usability Project strives to make the
> GNOME experience as pleasant and efficient as possible" which, whilst
> succinct to the point of blandness, does not exclude hackerly pursuits.

Of course it doesn't.  So why is it (seemingly) being interpreted that way?

- Dick