Re: Preferences [Was: a whole lot of other things, too]

On Sun, 2002-04-28 at 06:52, iain wrote:

> > > The rule of thumb is that none of these should require administrator
> > > priviledges, and none of them should be "dangerous" or possible to get
> > > wrong.
>
> In the list above, both language and mouse can be both dangerous and
> possible to get wrong.

Language is tricky but we can decrease the danger. You're right, that it
will be possible to get language "wrong". As I said, its a rule of
thumb, not a law ;-) When you change the language using instant apply,
all the text in the system will change to the new language. We can leave
an "Undo" button in the previous language though. So if you accidentally
change to a bizarre language, the "Get me out of this thing" button will
still be in the last language you were in, hopefully one you speak :)

Mouse shouldn't be difficult to prevent from having wrong values. We
just need to make sure we don't let the user set mouse speeds to things
that would be crazy on their system. We should know the DPI and stuff,
right? I suspect we can do a pretty good job at limiting the slider to
reasonable values. Maybe that's naive and unrealistic with X, I dunno.
Jonathan would know better.

-Seth