Re: Preferences [Was: a whole lot of other things, too]

iain <iain ximian com> writes:

> > > The rule of thumb is that none of these should require administrator
> > > priviledges, and none of them should be "dangerous" or possible to get
> > > wrong.
>
> In the list above, both language and mouse can be both dangerous and
> possible to get wrong.
>
> Case in point: I started a random capplet[1], and for some reason (it
> wasn't the mouse one) it slowed my mouse to a crawl[2].

Starting a capplet will start gnome-settings-daemon.  If you didn't have
it running before you started the capplet, chances are you have an old
session that refers to gnome2-settings-daemon.

> So I opened the mouse capplet[1] and whacked the sensitivity up,
> except as I moved it up, it applied, so I ended up accidently sticking
> it to move a millimetre, flip across 6 desktops type sensitivity. The
> only way I could fix it was with xset.

That scale is supposed to only apply once you've let go - it's
definitely not auto-apply here.  Can you confirm that it is for you, and
file a bug?

> I could imagine scenerios such as "opps My monkey turned the language
> setting to Spanish, and I've no idea what the menus say anymore[3]".

Haven't seen that episode.

-Jonathan