Re: Preferences [Was: a whole lot of other things, too]

On Monday 29 April 2002 02:16, you wrote:
> Mouse shouldn't be difficult to prevent from having wrong values. We
> just need to make sure we don't let the user set mouse speeds to things
> that would be crazy on their system. We should know the DPI and stuff,
> right? I suspect we can do a pretty good job at limiting the slider to
> reasonable values. Maybe that's naive and unrealistic with X, I dunno.
> Jonathan would know better.

See here IS the problem! How should you developer know better what mouse
speed is apropriate for my system than me. Just some points having a special
mouse that ist much slower/faster (say x-highres mouse or something), having
to get some work done on a sunday with a way to broken mouse. etc. pp.

Please don't try to outsmart the users, you CAN'T know all the situation
beforehand, so built tools not policy (as some old open source ppl say).

For you pleasure some real life example, something with my mouse at the
computer is broken: it sometimes just hangs, but with LINUX i can dwell down
into the innerworkings of the system(this time the kernel) and find a way the
reset the stupid device. This way a can get my work done (TM). But only using
a pretty absurd and "dangerous" option (requieres root access and chvt 1)

to wrap this up: The user is the user, he knows what he wants, he gets what
he wants and everybody who thinks he is to stupid should throw away his root
password and go back to kindergarden!

PS: Sorry for getting a bit emotional, but Computer are TOOLS, we should not
make them to fight the users.