Re: Preferences [Was: a whole lot of other things, too]

While in general I agree with what Havoc said, I want to pick on two items
I really care about :

> I'm especially concerned by things like the HTML capplets which to me
> seem like app prefs moved into a global space; I don't see a
> theoretical bound on the number of prefs dialogs if we start down that
> road. What app pref couldn't theoretically be shared with another
> similar app? Given that most users use only a few apps, are we gaining
> them much benefit by sharing these dialogs? Enough benefit to outweigh
> the cost of the clutter? I'd at least like to limit prefs dialogs like
> this to cases where the pref in question is actually in practice used
> by a number of apps that don't overlap functionally (i.e. sharing
> prefs among all web browsers is useless, users will only be using one
> browser).

This last point I totally don't agree with (users only using one browser).
I have personally seen at work a few new Linux users, given the option of
both Mozilla and Galeon, go back and forth.  Haven't asked them why
though.  In any case, they used both.  Also, as long as I myself
am not able to make default links go to Galeon instead of Mozilla (from
apps like gnome-terminal, it drives me crazy), even though I specified
Galeon in Preferences>Advanced>Preferred Applications, I'll be forced to
use two browsers concurrently as well.

What I *do* think, however, is that it would be great if each of these
gnome-aware apps would use *the same* configuration app/capplet/bonobo
control/... to configure all their common settings.

I think you are right in saying there isn't a real need for these settings
in the preferences menu, but :
a) as long as NO APP CLEARLY WINS FOR A LONG TIME in terms of speed,
featurecompleteness and usability, IT'S A CLEAR PLUS
to have more than one app be usable and
have your defaults change over the course of a year (a year ago, galeon
wouldn't have been my favourite link opener, but now it wins hands down)

and
b) moving app prefs out of the app and into a shared space for similar
apps to access CAN ONLY BE A GOOD THING.  I seem to get from your comment
that you're against it because it clutters up the preferences.  For me
that is a reason to not put them in preferences but find a better spot.

I'll give you a concrete example : I work with GStreamer, and I expect
lots of apps coming out soon using GStreamer.  We would like for the
default audio and video output method to be a preference shared by default
for all apps.  Apps could give the option of overriding this if need be,
but by default we want them to use the same.  Then GStreamer can also
supply the tool to find "the best sink", and all apps can benefit from
that.

Since I realize not all apps are Gnome, and this wouldn't work for
Mozilla, I would recommend to have some kind of central app where this
sort of stuff can still be accessed until this sort of integration works
across the whole line.

> > I don't like "Non-gnome apps (KDE et al)" - basically I think we
> should either merge the KDE apps into the main menus or not display
> them at all. Users don't care about KDE vs. GNOME.

Users might care about the speed hit associated with starting up a KDE app
when running all Gnome.  If users don't know what Konqueror, Mozilla and
Galeon are, except that they're browsers, they might pick one at random
and, for their intents and purposes, pick the one that gives them the
slowest start-up time.  It's the desktop's job to protect users from
making these uninformed decisions.
OTOH, sometimes a KDE app is really better than it's equivalent gnome app,
and it would be a shame to see us not giving that user the chance on
the BEST possible experience - we need to tell them there are other apps
out there that we don't really recommend but please run them anyway if you
think they are better.  I would maybe hide them one level deeper down,
with a good explanation in the tooltip of what they are - right now "KDE
Menu" comes below the gnome "Applications", thus being seen first,
and contains a hell of a lot more stuff at this moment, so I can see how
users would think that this is really the menu ;)

Thomas

My baby she knows
the weight that I'm under
<-*- thomas apestaart org -*->