Re: iconless apps

On Fri, 26 Apr 2002, Maciej Stachowiak wrote:

> On 18Apr2002 04:24PM (+0200), Frederic Crozat wrote:
> > Le jeu 18/04/2002 à 16:16, Alex Larsson a écrit :
> > > On Thu, 18 Apr 2002, Mark McLoughlin wrote:
> > >

> > > I think not showing an icon is best. That will give incentive for the app
> > > developer to add an icon, and a default icon does not actually give you
> > > any information. It just clutters up the menu. Especially if you have
> > > several items in a menu without icons and they all get the same default
> > > icon.
> >
> > Agreed.. KDE is using a default icon which is extremely ugly when no
> > icon is available (therefore our KDE packager need to ensure all
> > applications have a good looking icon in our menus :((
>
> As Frederic's post shows, having a default icon creates *more*
> incentive to have a good icon for every app, because apps that get the
> default icon look dumb.

This is all very nice and I agree that every app should have a nice icon.
But me as a programmer I can't paint nice icons and I really don't know
where to get one. Until we have some more graphic artists with more spare
time than jakub and tigert, who are willing to paint icons "on request" I
don't think it's an achievable goal.

Regards,

   Jens

--