Re: Getting serious about releasing

Hi,

Good, you got rid of more of them. ;-)

Sander Vesik <Sander Vesik Sun COM> writes:
> > 78015: changing key beep volume doesn't work in keyboard capplet
> > 78016: other keyboard bell options also broken
> > 78013: xf86 calls used for keyboard capplet
> >  (the above three are all the same basic task, rewrite
> >   link between settings daemon and keyboard settings on X server)
>
> these three are nowhere near showstoper level that they wouldn't get
> punted if the patch doesn't show up

The punt would be to remove the keyboard capplet. You have to do at
least that though since the capplet doesn't work.

I don't think it's hard to fix though.

> > 72715: menu editing and vfolders mess
>
> is it likely this will actually happen, whetever puntable or not?

I think one of us has to suck it up and fix this. I'm working up to
it. But I'm hoping George will work up to it first so I don't have to
mangle his code in ways he may not appreciate. ;-)

> > 79576: keybindings capplet not working properly
>
> This is *SO* puntable - either the 'have emacs keybindings' crowd has
> mostly died off in which case we don't need it, or a patch happens. Until
> that time we probbaly shouldn't install it, though.

Agree, I'm just not counting "puntable by disabling the feature" as
puntable. i.e. some action (the disabling) is not puntable.

> > 73769: can't delete folders in applications:///
> >        (part of 72715)
> > 73773: can't rename items in applications:///
> >        (part of 72715)
> > 73768: new folder in applications:/// gets broken name
> >        (part of 72715)
> > 73770: DND to applications:/// doesn't work
> >         (part of 72715)
>
> Do these need to work ? why not just punt it by making it read-only?

This is all the menu editing goo again.

We could indeed just say you can't edit in 2.0.0.

> > 75150: automatic updating of menus doesn't work in panel
> IMHO puntable, just leave the impression there is no such thing as
> auto-updating. Then re-add in 2.0.1 or whenever.

Another one where we can punt by disabling the feature.

> > 77146: if you run gnome-session twice it blows up (don't do that then
> >        is good enough for 2.0.0)
>
> if its still around its non-puntable and has too low priority, otherwise
> needs to be closed

No way, gnome-session has had this bug (doesn't worked right if you
run it inside an existing session) for the entire history of
GNOME. ;-) Very few people have noticed. Most people don't even know
how to run gnome-session from the command line.

> > 75232: gtkhtml view in Nautilus crash
> > 75387: Nautilus crash pressing escape while icon browser is loading
> > 75120: Nautilus crash on startup (seems to be fixed, should close bug)
>
> crashes aren't really puntable.

Yeah they are, if they are sufficiently obscure. No way we're going to
ship with no known crashes.

> I snipped the individual ones, but "help" not working is not puntable. If
> we don't have help for a spcific thing, then we should display a dialog
> saying so. clicking on help needs to give an intelligent response.

If someone patches it sure, if they don't I'm willing to ship the
GWeather properties dialog with broken help. We have much worse
problems. e.g. GWeather parses the Yahoo weather site HTML and breaks
every time Yahoo gets a cosmetic overhaul. ;-)

Of course maybe these should all be under "not puntable but can be
made puntable by removing the help button"

Yup, anyway, all details, main point is, let's get some stuff punted
and get a smaller must-fix list to focus on.

Havoc