Re: Gnome-vfs blocks cddb-capplet. Why?

On Sun, 2002-04-21 at 19:23, Havoc Pennington wrote:

> iain <iain ximian com> writes:
> > So according to bug 74767 the cddb slave capplet is explicity blocked
> > from appearing in the menus (and I guess the nautilus preferences:///
> > too) by gnoem-vfs.
> >
> > Any technical reasoning for this[1]?
> >
> > iain
> > [1] "I don't want it there" isn't technical reasoning.
>
> btw, random bug, this capplet seems to be modal even though it's only
> one dialog, so if e.g. the libgnomeui gconf error dialog comes up,
> users can't click on it.
>
> The CDDBSlave2 capplet IMO should not be in the menus, though I'm not
> sure hacking gnome-vfs was the best way to take it out.
>
> I didn't know the capplet existed before your mail and don't know
> if these are the actual reasons it was removed, but here are the
> reasons I'd give:
>
>   - It's not a desktop setting. If I wanted to change
>     where information about CDs was obtained, I'd look
>     in the properties for the various CD player gadgets,
>     not in Desktop Preferences.
>   - It's called "CDDBSlave 2 Properties" in the window title
>     and "CDDB" in .desktop file - totally meaningless to
>     almost all users.
>   - It isn't instant apply.
>   - _I_ don't have a clue what the "Log on information" area
>     means or why I'd choose one of those options over another.
>     I'm sure most users won't know if I don't.
>   - The server section is quite opaque as well; "round robin"
>     is a programmer term here, what is FreeDB, why would I
>     choose freedb vs. something else, why does "other server"
>     still show freedb by default if it's "other besides
>     freedb", what is a "port" ...
>
> If you don't consider those technical reasons then fine, but they're
> still good reasons. ;-)
>
> There should definitely be a way to choose your cddb server
> somewhere, but I don't see this as the right place, and I'm not sure
> the user-visible phrasing should be called "cddb server"
>
> If it isn't in the prefs for the CD player app, maybe in a "CD
> properties" dialog of some kind, maybe merge it with the CD properties
> control panel that magicdev adds. That already has a frame called
> "Audio CDs" that would naturally contain an extra item "Get track
> titles and album covers from this server:" and we need to figure out
> how to get magicdev-type functionality in upstream gnome anyhow.

I like this idea, this would enable rhythmbox (that won't use CDDB2Slave
but libcdaudio) to get the server info from a gconf key.

And yes, we would also need magicdev-like functionality somewhere (a
non-broken one that gets the info from the kernel about CD insertion, I
don't remember the ioctl off-hand). Would enable auto-mounting magic
a-la mac (and a way to disable Nautilus' window open on mount as well).

Cheers

--
/Bastien Nocera
http://hadess.net