Re: Actions menu (was 'Capplets' and 'background/font capplets'))

On Sun, 2002-04-14 at 18:54, Erik Pukinskis wrote:

> > Desktop seems reasonable, probably better than "Actions" or "Commands".
>
> I realize that in GNOME terms, desktop means "The sum of all the parts
> of your working environment" but to Mac folk it means "the background on
> which icons and windows are displayed (minus the menu bar)"[1]  To
> windows folks it means "The visual work area that fills the screen. The
> desktop is also a container and can be used as a convenient location to
> place objects stored in the file system."[2]  And on CDE, it is "The
> area on which the windows of a user's environment appear."[3]
>
> So to everyone else, desktop means "that thing behind all my windows
> [that has icons on it.]"  If I were looking for "Turn off my computer"
> or "Search for files" I would never think to look in "Desktop."

I fully agree with that, although I didn't make the research about it ;)

How about "Gnome" ? I know it sounds a bit lame, but on windows it's
"Start", on a Mac it's "Apple menu" (with an icon though).

Maybe we could have a "Gnome menu" akin to the "Apple menu" and then an
applications menu ?

--
/Bastien Nocera
http://hadess.net