Re: [Deskbar] Idea - integrate deskbar in the gnome menubar

2008/11/30 David Prieto <frandavid100 gmail com>
Sorry, I sent this only to Alexey instead of the list:

> El dom, 30-11-2008 a las 22:21 +1100, Alexey Parshin escribió:
> > It used to be a part of Gnome panel, that is so much better than
> > anywhere else ..

I'm sorry Alexey, I think I'm not following you. Where is better than
anywhere else? The panel, or the menu?

On the panel, of course. I'm currently running XFCE only because it has cmd line applet for the panel, but Gnome doesn't anymore. Oh, and KDE has that cmd line applet, too.

I think putting it in the menu would have the same benefits of the
panel, and then more. We could still reach the search field with one
click, we could use the menubar's hotkey launcher (alt+F1) instead of
having to use another one, we wouldn't take panel space and it might be
more familiar for users coming from vista. I sure would like to have all
my launching-related stuff in the same place instead of scattered all
over the desktop, too.

Frankly speaking, have Yet Another Launcher is useless. 99% of the time all I want from the launcher is cmd line. XFCE/Gnome/KDE already have one, available by Alt+F2. As for Advanced Search etc features, they are really nice, but if they don't come where people generally want 'em, on the panel, then they aint used. That happened to every single one of my friends running Gnome.

The panel space is precious. However, many people always place cmd line applet on the panel (if available). Why? Just because it's damn convenient to have it there. Saves a click or two, I believe. And if the implementation of such cmd line uses history combo box - it all can be done with mouse.

As for gloryfied Vista users, I don't see your point. Why lose existing Linux users for Vista users? I don't find most of the Vista 'advantages' nether revolutionary nor convenient. People simply hate Vista. So, why do you want to bring the least successful MS OS features to nice and clean Gnome?

What are the benefits of having it on the panel? Also, why couldn't both
ways be possible?

Thanks,

David.