Re: [Deskbar] new deskbar UI

On 8/29/07, Colin Walters <walters redhat com> wrote:

On 8/29/07, Sebastian Pölsterl < marduk k-d-w org> wrote:

> So, are there any plans to keep the ability to have a visible search box?

There are no plans to bring back the old UIs. However, as you can see
the entry is still there, but not in the panel. As I already told you I
would help to make it as easy as possible for big-board to make use of
the new deskbar. I already wrote a very rough sketch how that might look
like (see attachment). You can then place the entry, the list of matches
and the list of actions wherever you want. If that's not want you want,
just tell me. I'm sure we find a solution.

Ah, interesting!  I'll have a look at this when I get into work.  Thanks!

Ok so I had a chance to play with this and I was able to get something basic working, like the old Entriac style:
http://svn.mugshot.org/bigboard/trunk/bigboard/deskbar_embed.py
which imports:
http://svn.mugshot.org/bigboard/trunk/bigboard/bigbar/

It's kind of buggy at the moment but thankfully I have a lot of experience in very fiddly dynamic window popups in PyGTK since I spent a few solid days tweaking the completion window for Hotwire[1] a few months ago.

Anyways, I'll see how things work out; thanks for the code!

[1] http://code.google.com/p/hotwire-shell/