Re: [Deskbar] new deskbar UI

Colin Walters schrieb:
> Hi,
>
> Just took a look at the latest iteration of deskbar (2.19.90 on my system).
> As some of you may know we're embedding deskbar in our sidebar prototype for
> the online desktop.

2.19.91 is the newest version. But GUI is almost identical.

> So I guess from a high level I'm not sure I understand where deskbar is
> going.  The mode of having a persistent entry with attached popup results
> seems to be gone.  Instead deskbar seems to be moving more towards a
> transient "search" interface.  Kind of like the Beagle search dialog.

We don't want to make another beagle, tracker or whatever. The main
feature in the upcoming 2.20 are actions, i.e. you search for something
get a match and this match can have more than one action. E.g. you found
a image you can open it with gimp, gthumb, f-spot, ...

> Another way to phrase this is - why is there an applet at all?  It seems
> strange to have an icon that one clicks to pop up a window where one then
> types.  The workflow makes more sense when there is a keybinding (as exists
> now in Alt-F3) to show the window, then one can continue typing.
>
> The default deskbar config (on Fedora at least) seems to be oriented mostly
> towards launching programs.  Why not just replace Alt-F2 instead of having
> both Alt-F2 and Alt-F3?  In other words, deskbar is a "daemon" that is
> always running.  The selection of plugins would move to a capplet instead of
> a right click on the applet.

AFAIK, you can enter a complete command, like you would enter it in a
terminal, into the Alt-F2 dialog and execute it. This is currently not
possible with Deskbar.
You could of course remove the applet. But I think it's more difficult
to discover when you have to press Alt+F3 to bring up Deskbar when
there's no sign (the icon on the panel) that something like that exists.

> [...]
> To summarize here - there is a functional difference between
> always-visible-entry (old deskbar Entriac UI) and keybinding-pops-up-search
> (Cuemiac), the primary one being discoverability.  How would someone new to
> the system know they can search?  There's no way to know beforehand that
> typing Alt-F2 or Alt-F3 will bring up a dialog; nor would I be able to guess
> that clicking on the applet icon as it is now would show a search dialog.

The icon has a tooltip that tells you what it can do.

> So, are there any plans to keep the ability to have a visible search box?

There are no plans to bring back the old UIs. However, as you can see
the entry is still there, but not in the panel. As I already told you I
would help to make it as easy as possible for big-board to make use of
the new deskbar. I already wrote a very rough sketch how that might look
like (see attachment). You can then place the entry, the list of matches
and the list of actions wherever you want. If that's not want you want,
just tell me. I'm sure we find a solution.

- --
Greetings,
Sebastian Pölsterl