Re: [Deskbar] Regressions in new UI

Mikkel Kamstrup Erlandsen schrieb:
> Hi all!
>
> I'm testing out the new deskbar-applet in Gutsy Gibbon and I must admit
> that it is quite a bumpy ride :-)

Keep in mind that I commited quite some changes since the 2.19.6.1 release.

> Sebastian, please do not take this as a critique of your work, I really
> like what you are doing, and I can appreciate that it is hard and tricky
> work :-)
>
> Here's a list of regressions that I spotted on the first go:
>
> FUNCTIONALITY REGRESSIONS
>
>  * Does not scale to view all results if window is to small

I'm not sure if it's a good idea that the windoe resizes itsself each
time when I search for something. I was thinking about adding Tooltips
for each item in match and actions treeview. Would this help?

>  * Hits pane partially obscured on first view

I don't understand. What do you mean exactly?

>  * Invalidated a whole slew of 3rd party handlers without warning - do
> you realize how many are out there? I strongly suggest creating a
> LegacyModuleLoader or something so old handlers work without
> modification. And this should be done really soon.

It should open a dialog a startup and warn you about outdated handlers.
If you didn't see it I have to check the code again. I really don't see
a posibility to support old handlers as well. The new API is just too
different from the new one. I now that many people will get mad about
this, but supporting two different APIs does no good in the long term.

> NAVIGATIONAL REGRESSIONS
> I consider these serious because we have a very big user base that will
> have a forced change of habits, that I assure you will be frustrating to
> many people. Changing the default navigational patterns should not be
> taken lightly.

I try to improve usability as much as possible and I'm happy about every
input.

>  * Does not hide on Esc

I'm working on that.

>  * Type search, hit down-arrow does not focus results

It does that on my machine (might be that I use svn trunk, but I don't
think so)

>  * Does not go to top if hit down on bottom hit
>
>  * Does not go to bottom hit if hitting up on from search entry.

I try to support your request.

>  * Not closing result window after match selection.

You should enable this behavior in preferences.

> IDEAS
>  * History view - how about only displaying either history or the search
> results? Just show history when the applet is shown without a search
> string (it should have a visible "History" label somewhere to not
> confuse people). The mantra should be: "As little in the UI as possible,
> but shortest route to funtionality".

hmm, I like the history as it is now. Nevertheless, I won't make sense
if I remove the menu at the top as Vincent requested. Currently, I have
no idea where to put the history in that case.

- --
Greetings,
Sebastian Pölsterl