[Deskbar] Handler for Pinot

On 9/29/06, Mikkel Kamstrup Erlandsen <mikkel kamstrup gmail com> wrote:
Quickly browsing the homepage I found something about OpenSearch if I
remember correctly..? What is your experience with this, and how is it
implemented in Pinot (custom or via a lib)?

Yes, that's right, it supports OpenSearch Description plugins.
I think it's great, both Description and Response are easy to implement.
Unfortunately a lot of engines that provide Description plugins don't bother
implementing Response and assume that all clients understand and can
display text/html, making it difficult to parse results. It's too bad Response
is not mandatory.
The implementation in Pinot is custom and only relies on an XML parser.
Right now this functionality is not exported by the daemon and is only
available through the UI, but at some point I'll extend the DBus interface
to cover the metasearch side of things.

I ask because we might wanna look into this natively in deskbar...

That sounds good. Hopefully, with Firefox 2 and IE 7 both supporting
OpenSearch, the associated standards will become more widely used.

Cheers.

Fabrice