Re: Recent improvements

Whoops, resending to list as well as Vej.

On Sun, Aug 13, 2017, at 19:58, Michael Terry wrote:
On Sat, Aug 12, 2017, at 08:22, Vej wrote:
 Am 11.08.2017 um 05:27 schrieb Michael Terry:
-- Less oddities around dependencies needing to be installed for various
duplicity backends.

For now, I'm not removing any code supporting those four cloud backends
(S3, GCS, Rackspace, and OpenStack). I'm not sure I ever should (even if
we one day remove the option to back up to them, removing restoring
would strand existing data). But deprecating them is useful I think.
I agree that we should always keep the restoring functionalities there.
Some users do not do their backups regularly but keep one "snapshot"
around for years until they have a mishap and need to restore as much as
possible. These users will not notice that their backend is not longer
supported.

I was thinking about this today -- and actually, I suppose we could drop
support somewhat easily...  (A) duplicity will still be there.  So
restores could be done, just more difficultly.  And (B) the user could
always download the files from the remote location and restore off the
local copy of the backup.

So we wouldn't be leaving them entirely in the lurch...  But not
something I'm in a rush to do.  Just good that we have the option.