Re: Is beagle completely dead now?

Brian J. Murrell <brian interlinx bc ca> wrote:
>> Recoll is a really better alternative remplacement of beagle.
>
> I don't want to start a holy war, but no it's not.  It doesn't index
> instantly for one thing and it hammers the disk with periodic (i.e. from
> cron) scans of entire filesystems just in case there is a change in one
> or two files that need re-indexing.

"If option -m is given, recollindex is started for real time
monitoring, using the file system monitoring package it was configured
for (either fam, gamin, or inotify)." (from 'man recollindex')

> How about evolution?  Does it do that?  I don't think it does.

I use recoll to index IMAP emails downloaded with kmail, and it is
likely to work with evolution just the same. It works very well and
indexes not only email text but also documents attached to emails
(e.g. content of PDF attachments).

I do miss beagle but I stopped using it a few months ago because it
would always stop returning any search results at some random point
until I remove its database and reindex.