Re: Giant logfile

> > Did you mean all distributions (I know about OpenSUSE and Fedora, maybe
> > Ubuntu also does) know about this and patch the code with a higher
> > loglevel ? I don't think all distributions know about this; even if they
> > do, what purpose does it serve us. Only users who install from source
> > will ever see large logfiles and thereby figure out there is some
> > problem.
>
> A little check here seems to confirm your guess:
> The concerned Linux box runs beagle 0.2.17 built by openSUSE Build Service
> (at least rpm -qi says so), it was started only with the --bg flag (no
> --debug flag !) and it still does produce the large log files.

Ya. Its possibly because of a lower inotify max_watches limit. It used to
print too many warning messages in the past, even without --debug (besides
causing other problems).
BTW, this problem was fixed in the next bugfix release, 0.2.18. And you should
up the max_watches limit; the value in /proc/sys/fs/inotify/max_user_watches
should be significantly larger that the number of directories in your home
directory. (OpenSUSE 10.3 possibly does that ... not sure).