Re: querying over network (from SoC 2006)

On Fri, 2007-07-06 at 13:40 -0400, D Bera wrote:

> If there is no authentication, it should be possible right now to run
> beagled as root on the server machine. However, then any user would be
> able to query for any file.

Indeed.  Authentication would definitely be needed.

> Yeah. There is a problem in that approach.

:-)

> There was another SoC 2006 project (done by Kyle) which was
> implementing this. It was a lot of GUI stuff (the gui had means to
> finding out other beagle nodes in the network using avahi) -

Ahh.  So discovery and communication between beagles and not
beagle->beagleds?  Was this work considered another way to skin the same
basic cat -- searching indexes on remote machines?

> unfortunately I dont run gnome so I have no plans to integrate his
> code.

Ahhh.  You passed my "RealDeveloper(tm)" test.  And I tried so hard to
disguise it.  J/K of course.  ;-)

This is interesting stuff indeed.

b.

Brian J. Murrell