Re: beagle implementation in C

Well, to me that is just as bad as it gets. I left C a long time ago and don't want to go back that road again. Your decision will certainly keep me away from Beagle now. It might be that I'm a minority in hoping that you would stick with Mono but nevertheless I'll ask you to reconsider.

Regards,
Peter

Debajyoti Bera wrote:
Hey all,
Recently there has been an increase of beagle memory related and crash bugs. It is increasingly getting difficult to fix such bugs so I (we?) have decided to re-implement beagle in C. That will allow us to do precise memory allocation and de-allocation leading to better memory behaviour. Also, we will be able to debug using good old gdb. Implementing the whole of beagle in C will be extremely tedious. Fortunately, there exists a C port of lucene (clucene, IIRC) that we can make use of. As of now, I will go ahead and implement the core parts. Depending on how it goes, the filters and backends will be implemented in C or some scripting language (not decided between python and ruby). I plan to have a working implemenation at svn.gnome.org/svn/beagle/trunk/cbeagle by 06/31/07. Watch the space. I will probably also blog about it (if possible with figures comparing regular and c-beagle). This will cut down my time with the regular beagle but I will be checking the bugs and mails. It will be a lot of work (and its a bit late for GSoC) so a any volunteers will be very helpful.

Thanks,