Re: RoadMap for next Beagle releases

On Thu, September 21, 2006 12:07 pm, Daniel Naber wrote:
> In a web context

We are not in a web context, why limit ourselves to request/response
mechanism over a network?

> are display. This is because the search itself is often very fast but
actually getting the results is slow because it requires one disk access
per document.

I thought it was because it needed to be transfered across the network?  I
also thought that Lucene queried the index in the DB why would it need one
disk access per document?

> Fetching 100 results sounds too much unless they are really immediately
displayed.

Most UI research states humans can only handle about 10 choices.  More
when the results are similar (search results).  However, 100 results is
alot.  This discussion started around someone wanting all of the mp3 files
on his system.  This use is really just one result, which is a set of all
mp3 files.  The 100 result limit is good number regardless of the
performance reasons.  And, as stated that limitation could be overcome.