Beagle 0.2.10, Gnome 2.14, Debian Etch AMD64: search key does not work?

Hi,

I want the search window displayed when I press F12 (or whatever key I
can think up that does not interfere with my programs). I thought that I
could configure that in the "desktop search" applet, using the
"preferences" notebook. But that does not work: if I press F12 noting
happens. Setting a keyboard short cut in Gnome displayes the Gnome
search applet and not Beagle's search aplet.

I there a way to:
1. make the keyboard shortcut work as suggested by the prefrences
notebook?
2. Replace the Gnome search applet by Beagle's applet?

TIA

--
Groeten,

Joost Kraaijeveld