Re: Gnome Journal Article and General Beagle Publicity

On Sun, 2006-11-12 at 19:30 -0500, Kevin Kubasik wrote:
> Ok, I just saw some recent talk about the Gnome Journal and upcoming
> publications. I was thinking, we have some big stuff coming up,
> primarily, that beagle is getting into the memory usage range where we
> can/could seriously consider it as a default for a lot of
> distributions/setups. (I'm thinking especially once Joe's work with the
> unified indexies finishes, and if my work with the thunderbird backend
> starts to show some results) Maybe we should consider writing a serious
> 'Why beagle can work for you' type document. We could get it published
> in GJ and a couple other places, and get beagle in the next major round
> of distro releases (SLED, Feisty, etc). If we also got the SoC stuff
> integrated at this point that would be a great addition.

I think a GJ article on Beagle is a fantastic idea, and I'll be happy to
help with any information I can.

> Anyways, I'm more just throwing some ideas out there, maybe we
> could/should set a nice revived roadmap/benchmark of what we want for
> maybe a 0.3 release? And make the 0.3 the flagship release for a renewed
> beagle push? Just a thought, please weight in with your thoughts/comments.

A State Of The Pooch email is long overdue, and I will try to get to it
later today or tomorrow.  Basically the idea is to push out a 0.3.0
release once the unified indexes work is finished and tested enough in
CVS.  It would also be nice to have some outside metadata indexed
through it, since that will be possible.

I'm still probably a couple of weeks off before the branch can be
landed, however.